This St. Patrick’s Day, I got a little creative. I decided to make cupcakes. They were inspired by Martha Stewart’s one bowl chocolate cupcakes (recipe here), with a few changes (namely, I added Guinness!) and the Bailey’s buttercream icing from Tara’s Kitchen, along with the idea itself and this amazing photo from Smells Like Home: (although I didn’t wind up using her recipe, I did think her idea was genius!)
They turned out pretty well, so I thought I would share the recipe!
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup Guinness
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons safflower or vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line standard muffin tins with paper liners; set aside. Sift together cocoa powder, flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt into a large bowl. Add eggs, buttermilk, Guinness and oil, and mix until smooth, about 3 minutes. Scrape down the sides and bottom of bowl to assure batter is well mixed.
- Divide batter evenly among muffin cups, filling each 2/3 full. Bake until tops spring back when touched, about 20 minutes, rotating pan once if needed.
Bailey’s Buttercream Icing
1 stick unsalted butter, room temp
3 cups powdered sugar
2 tablespoons Bailey’s Irish Cream
Use a mixer (I do love my KitchenAid)…Cream the butter on high speed for 3 minutes. Add the Bailey’s and mix thoroughly. Slowly add the powdered sugar and mix until smooth (not grainy).
Let ’em cool all the way down to room temperature before you frost ’em! This makes a rich, dark cupcake that tastes mostly of chocolate, and a frosting that tastes quite strongly of Bailey’s. Perfect for St. Pat’s, in other words! But even with the holiday now behind us, these babies would be good year round, so enjoy!